Guide To: 12 South Neighborhood in Nashville, TN
At the foothills of Belmont University, the well-educated enclave of the 12 South/Belmont neighborhood contains small-town-main-street charm at an enviably close proximity to all of Nashville’s favorite amenities. With wide, tree-lined avenues and historic homes, it’s easy to feel rooted right away. The name “12 South” references 12th Avenue South, the vibrant but quaint commercial center; while “Belmont” draws upon the area’s rich history and founding families, dating back to the 19th century.
Attractive boutique shops, cozy cafes, corner pubs, and adventurous fine dining restaurants make it a destination for tourists and locals alike. Settle in for a day on your laptop or with a good book at Frothy Monkey, hobnob with Reese Witherspoon’s staff at Draper James, or pick up a favorite pair of blue jeans at Imogene + Willie. Find unforgettable gifts and houseware at Holly Williams’ (Hank Williams Jr’s daughter) shop, White’s Mercantile; and end your day over a pint with friends at 12 South Taproom.
Want some fresh air? Sevier Park boasts 20 acres of well-maintained open space, complete with walking trails and a fitness center. It even hosts a popular farmer’s market every Tuesday from May through October, if live music, food trucks, and local produce are up your alley.
12 South/Belmont oozes charm and earns its distinction as one of “the South’s best neighborhoods” by Southern Living Magazine.
If 12 South were a song, it would be….
“Can’t Stop The Feeling” by Justin Timberlake
Architecture and Composition
Most of the area is residential with a dominance of single family homes. A historic overlay protects more than 800 homes, including craftsman, bungalow, tudor, cottage, and four-square styles.
Restaurants, Bars, and Cafés:
- Urban Grub
- Edley’s BBQ
- Ladybird Taco
- Martin’s BBQ
- 12 South Taproom
- Embers Ski Lodge
- The Filling Station
- Las Paletas
- Jeni’s Splendid Ice Cream
- Five Daughters Bakery
- Frothy Monkey
- Portland Brew
- Sevier Park
Events and Festivals:
- 12 South Farmers Market
- Music City Marathon
- 12th South historic neighborhood home tour
Carter-Lawrence Elementary, Waverly-Belmont Elementary
John T Moore Middle
David Lipscomb University
- Guide To: Inglewood Neighborhood In Nashville, TN
- Guide To: Lockeland Springs Neighborhood in Nashville, TN
- Guide To: Oak Hill, TN
- Guide To: Sylvan Park Neighborhood in Nashville, TN
- Guide To: The Nations Neighborhood in Nashville, TN
- Guide To: West Meade Neighborhood in Nashville, TN
- Guide To: 12 South Neighborhood in Nashville, TN
- Guide To: Belle Meade, TN
- Guide To: Charlotte Park Neighborhood in Nashville, TN
- Guide To: Cleveland Park Neighborhood in Nashville, TN
- Guide To: Crieve Hall Neighborhood in Nashville, TN
- Guide To: Forest Hills, TN
- Guide To: Germantown Neighborhood in Nashville, TN
- Guide To: Hillsboro Village Neighborhood in Nashville, TN
- Guide To: Green Hills Neighborhood in Nashville, TN